Litigation - Paris
The Paris International Litigation team comprises 5 partners, 1 counsel, as well as 4 lawyers and permanent legal staff.
The team includes not only French Avocats, but also English Barristers and Solicitors-Advocates.
Unlike many large-firm practices, our team is condensed, client-focused and accessible, offering a “boutique law firm” experience to our clients who know each and all of their counsel. Truly independent, our team has also fewer conflicts than many other leading firms.
Unlike boutique law firms however, the team is fully international both in the way it operates and in its approach: the Paris team is fully integrated and works in a seamless way with the London-based Dispute Resolution practice members: it is an actual single team with two base offices. Our team also works in close collaboration with Brown Rudnick’s US teams. It has therefore the capacity to deal with complex, multi-jurisdictional and high stake litigation matters.
Our experienced lawyers regularly appear before the French Commercial and Civil Courts as advocates on behalf of leading French and international clients, in order to assist them in the scope of their cross-border and/or multi-party disputes. Our lawyers also have an extensive practice of emergency proceedings (ex parte applications and interim proceedings).
Our team also offers a strong expertise in negotiation and pre-contentious risk management, in order to resolve as efficiently and as commercially as possible the conflictual situations which our clients face. We very often achieve results which help our clients avoid protracted litigation and arbitration, while preserving or reinventing existing business relationships and deals.
Representative matters handled by our lawyers include:
- Acting for a market-leading French-US group in the software-editing sector, as part of a multi-jurisdictional dispute against a fund incorporated in the Cayman Islands. The dispute related to a financing agreement worth tens of millions of Euros: our team obtained the appointment of an ad hoc conciliatory agent in France, and then secured a two-year suspension of any payment allegedly owed by our client under the financing agreement (Paris Commercial Court). We worked closely with our New York office to protect our client’s US-located assets against any attachment attempt by the fund in the USA.
- Acting before the Paris Court of Appeal for a French company specialising in the Bio-tech research industry - currently in liquidation proceedings - in a dispute worth several hundreds of millions of Euros. The dispute arose out of the unlawful appropriation of our client’s intellectual property rights as well as a breach of a confidentiality agreement pertaining to studies undertaken as part of a partnership agreement entered into with a state-funded entity.
- Renegotiating a set of shareholders’ agreements, in parallel with the handling of several litigation proceedings in France and Luxembourg: the strategy suggested to our client prompted an English investment fund to waive its equity participation in a Luxembourg holding without compensation, and the reimbursement of a significant amount to the French operating company, which possessed real-estate assets worth more than 40 million Euros.
- Representing a French group of property owners for a share deal with a US group; assisting the French group in conciliation proceedings initiated under the supervision of the President of the Nanterre Commercial Court.
- Acting before the Lyon Commercial Court for a leading truck manufacturer in a multi-million cross-border dispute that an Italian company brought against our client before the Italian Courts, and then before the French Courts, and arising out of the termination of commercial negotiations.
Awards & Honors
- “Skills nourished by their experience of high stake litigation matters and acquired in the context of both French and English cultures” (Legal 500 Paris 2015)
- “Lawyers specialised in both civil and common law, who work on a totally integrated basis between Paris and London” (Décideurs Stratégie Finance Droit – Leaders League 2015)
- “They have capacity to deal with highly complex, multi-jurisdictional and high stake litigation” (Décideurs Stratégie Finance Droit – Leaders League 2015)
To read this page in French, click here.